Having spoken to a number of authors, there are a number of things that hold them back from publishing.
- Fear of rejection.
- Fear that their work is still not good enough to publish or will never be good enough.
- Fear of the unknown
- Fear that they are getting in over their head.
- Fear they will be ripped off by unscrupulous publishers
- The cost factor
- Fear of losing their book rights
- Not knowing whether they should follow the traditional publishing route or self publish.
- Not knowing what is expected of them.
- Worry about hidden extra costs.
- Worry about making back the publishing and printing costs.
- Anxiety about possibly having to commit to ordering large numbers of books or commit to a publishing package that causes financial hardship.
- Worry about who to trust and who to get sound information from.
- Not knowing what they want to do.
- Worry about an inferior product or service that will reflect badly on them.
- Worry that their book won’t sell.
- Worry about getting bad reviews or negative feedback.
- Worry that their dream will be shattered.
I know I can add more to this list if I thought about it some more and it is because of this and because I started off as an author first, that I now have a better understanding of the needs of other authors. I address these concerns through my personal self publishing service I provide to clients to take as much stress away as possible and to make the whole publishing process painless.